Monday, March 8, 2010

Having the Faith in God's Grace At Work

This is an excellent article from Chip Ingram which I have to share. Many of us have to manage the strugles and dissapointment at work. Have we thought about why do we stumble? It is with the hope that this article can touch you, and remind us, on riding the faith. This is really quite a message, considering my church is doing the Book of Hebrews!

Why do I stumble?

I came into the office early this morning to get some extra time with the Lord. It seems that once the day gets going all the dizziness and people crowd out any quality time to sit, reflect and develop that calm and quiet center to live out of Gods grace.

I’m reading through the book of Hebrews in my personal devotions and was struck this morning by the warning in Hebrews 3:12: “See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God.” Later in the same chapter, verse 19 he says, “So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief.” I know this is nothing new, but it struck me that at the heart of all my issues in relating to God is my struggle with temptation in sin; one simple common denominator – unbelief!

I get stressed out because I don’t believe – God is in control!

I get anxious about what might happen because I don’t believe – God is good!

I get worn out trying to do too much because I don’t believe – God will accomplish what concerns me!

I get frustrated when things don’t work out the way I think they should because I don’t believe – God is all wise; His timing and His methods are perfect!

I get afraid and wonder how we will cover all of our costs because I don’t believe – God is a faithful provider!

In chapter 4 the author encourages those who are struggling because of the persecution and difficulty that they’re facing not to drift away from the Lord through unbelief, but to enter His rest. To rest in the fact that He is in control, that He is good, that He cares and knows about all my needs, and is an all-wise and faithful provider. I love the line in Hebrews 4:10, “For anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from His.”

This is not a command about being passive because the very next verse commands us to make every effort to enter His rest. It is a command to believe in who God is and what He has done. So that we may rest from our self effort trying to earn God’s favor and to orchestrate what needs to happen in our own strength to fulfill what we think is best.

My prayer for you and me today is that we will take our eyes off of our to-do list and all the demands that we feel and simply ask God, “What does it look like to trust You today?“ What would it look like to trust You when I feel overwhelmed? What would it look like to trust You in this problematic relationship? What would it look like to trust You for my finances? What would it look like to trust You for my future?

As I ponder these questions and look at the relationship between a “sinful and unbelieving heart,” I realize that nearly all of the sins that we commit are rooted first and foremost in our unbelief. It’s when I do not believe God and take shortcuts in an attempt to make life work through – a white lie, a subtle manipulation, attempts to please people, neglecting my body to work more, pretending I’m something more than I am to impress others or gain their favor… and the list goes on.

“Without faith it is impossible to please God” (Hebrews 11:6).

So let’s trust today with believing hearts and enter His rest.

Keep pressing ahead,
Chip

No comments:

Post a Comment